Thursday, March 31, 2011

Trail Photos, etc.

Hey guys,

 Since I'm stuck here in Helen, GA, resting and icing my ankle, I figured I would put some pictures up on my blog. There's a real nice iMac here in the lobby, so I've wasted some time sitting here at the desk.

These two plaques were at the summit of Springer Mtn, the southern terminus of the AT:
 From the summit of Springer:
 Camp the first night at Hawk Mtn Shelter:
 The second day of hiking, we stopped for water here at Justus Creek; the picture isn't nearly as pretty as it was on Friday:
This is a view from one of the outlooks during the second day of hiking. A nice view that was followed by several days of being completely socked in by fog:


After getting completely drenched hiking on Saturday, we stopped at Neel's Gap and stayed at the Blood Mountain Cabins, where we hung all of our stuff out to dry:

 This is our camp the first night out of Neel's Gap. We stayed just above the shelter at Low Gap. Notice the copious fog!

Here are some pictures of my tourist activities here in Helen:




It's a very pretty fake-Bavarian town, with about 300 year-round residents and accommodations for up to 30,000 people. Very tourist-trappy, so I've tried my best not to get trapped by anything in town. Also, sort of like Freeport, there are not really "industrial" buildings. All the buildings have to be of a certain style, regardless of the businesses they contain. I guess it works for them though!

Alright, well, I'm hogging the computer here so I'm going to sign off. Enjoy the pictures and let me know what you think!

3 comments:

  1. Cool scenery, the trees remind me of Maine. It's awesome that there was a cool cabin for you to be able to use. The tent site looks like something out of a civil war film, minus the brightly colored tents.

    How is the hammock working out?

    Stay dry and keep that ankle healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Icing your ankle?!? ICING YOUR ANKLE? What did you do? Did those crazy Helenians attack you? ;) Helen is such a cool town, isn't it? Rest up. But get back out there... I'm loving these updates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @andy: hammock is alright. thinking about trading it in for a tarp tent of some sort, something really light. I haven't been sleeping all that well in either the hammock or the shelters. Hopefully that will start to change.

    @mandy: some tendonitis in my achilles... but it's getting better/not worse every day. Helen was cool, but I was glad to get out of there!

    ReplyDelete